Saturday, February 16, 2008

Crafty bastard.

One of my new favorite things... reusable coffee sleeves! Pattern from Sew Simple magazine, but changed a bit so it works better. The green on the left was my first attempt, and it's a bit wonky (though that doesn't show up so much in the photo). It's one of my favorite fabrics, a green check with bees all over it, then I embroidered "buzz", because you know, it's bees... and coffee... get it? I think I made the blue one next, it's Em's birthday gift and she'll get it late this week when they're visiting. It has a silly tiny pocket for god knows what, but I embroidered a monogram "E" for her there. The third one is my favorite. I adore this drip drop fabric I bought off Etsy (have I mentioned how much I love Etsy nowadays? Well, it's a lot). I've learned that it's better to do the finishing/edgestitching in embroidery floss instead of sewing, because it looks more neat and adds a nice punch of color. One of these lives in my bag, one at home. Begone stupid paper sleeves!

The floss card with two sad little strands of floss was a beautiful color in my box that I ran out of after finishing my sampler this week. I knew I wanted to replenish, so I went off to JoAnn yesterday armed with the scrap card. Standing in front of the giant rack o'floss, I glanced briefly over the many shades, and aha! There it was, DMC #902. It was a great match, extremely close, if not the same (which it might not be, as I've probably had that skein remnant for upwards of 15 years). I stood there for another few minutes, just checking that there wasn't something better. I have color-matching skills, folks. Oh, and I have taken to labeling my cards with the number so eventually this sort of nonsense won't happen any more.

And finally, the current state of my floss box. It appears I need to expand. Ooh, and there's my card-winder-gizmo, which I have loved for many years.

No comments: