Monday, February 11, 2008

"I'm not a goddamn pioneer"

Sunday night, after working long and busy shifts all weekend, I turned onto my street to see, well, nothing. Black hole of light. Blackout due to crazy winds. I kept driving, confirming that my building was out also and then turned straight off to the grocery store. The plan was to a) kill time in hopes that the power would come back and b) buy a flashlight.

I wandered around the grocery store in a haze for as long as I possibly could, walking out with four purchases (ice cream, grapes, toothbrush, mozzarella balls). No flashlights... so I ran across the strip mall parking lot to the Rite Aid. Thawed out in there (oh, did I mention it was colder this night that it's been in a long time, like 20?), and finally struck flashlight gold. The pimply kid at the counter asked me why I bought a flashlight, saying several people had bought them today. I replied that I didn't have power, and they probably didn't either.

I'll say now how eerie it is to drive around for blocks without electricity. Like some kinda zombie movie, not that I watch zombie movies.

Power still off when I get back, so I grab a bowl of ice cream, prop the flashlight and try to prevent Charlie from playing with the cord and knocking it over. The power came back on about 45 minutes later, and I see from my stove clock that it went off at 5, so it's been off for 4 hours. I had been planning on holing up in the bathroom and propping the light against the mirror so I could read. I used to sit in my half-closet over the stairs and read with a flashlight when I was little. It would have been like old times. Oh well.

End of story, I'd make a crappy pioneer.

No comments: